App State is about developing leaders. Whether you’re interested in taking one leadership course or earning the Leadership Studies Minor, we have excellent learning opportunities that prepare you to lead.
Our leadership courses help you to develop life and career skills such as critical thinking, team development, conflict resolution, problem solving, decision making, communication, and consensus building.
In addition, leadership studies is a resume builder that stands out to employers who value leadership education and experience because it tells them that you are ready to accept the challenge to lead in an increasingly diverse and challenging environment.
Earn a Leadership Studies Minor
You receive a Leadership Studies Minor after completing 18 hours in leadership studies and related courses. The Leadership Studies Minor takes an interdisciplinary approach and allows you to draw from a variety of disciplines. You’ll learn that leadership is a process and be exposed to many different perspectives that enhance critical thinking and decision making.
- Principles of Leadership (Core Course 1)
- Senior Capstone Leadership Seminar (Core Course 2)
- 12 additional credit hours made up of courses* that are related to the study and process of leadership.
- Understanding groups, organizations, or communities
- Communication skills
- Effective management, facilitation
- Ethics, culture, diversity
- Review the Program of Study in the Undergraduate Bulletin to determine which courses you may need to take.
- Complete the Minor Interest Form and look for an upcoming Interest Session on Engage.
- Before declaring a minor, talk with your Academic Advisor about the requirements within your specific college or department.
- Ask your advisor if courses counting towards your major can also fulfill electives for the minor.
- Substitutions to approved electives for the minor may be made with the approval of the Leadership Studies Program Director.
- Contact Courtney Holder, the Leadership Studies Program Director at firstname.lastname@example.org with additional questions..